Ages 6 to 12 years
Children learning at the elementary level in a Montessori environment encompasses multiple grade levels in one classroom. Children learn from older students and see those older students complete tasks that they will be doing themselves. Children often become mentors, helping their peers or younger friends with their “work.”
The classroom opens at 8:15 and school begins at 8:30. When the students arrive, they put their belongings away and look at the schedule to see what they should do next (read, write in their journal, or start morning work). Each student fills in his or her individual work planners before the morning meeting begins.
A Typical Day:
- 8:30 a.m. – Morning tfila (prayer) where children learn to use the prayer book according to their level of reading and learning as well as learn parsha.
- 8:50 a.m. – The teacher will inform the students that it is time for morning meeting. During morning meeting, they go over the schedule of the day, lessons that will be given, and works that will be due that week. The teacher will review each student’s planner individually and ask the child what he or she is going to work on when morning meeting is over.
- 9:00 a.m. – Small group lessons are given. Meanwhile, other students outside the group lesson work on independent projects on the floor or at their desk.
- 11:45 a.m. – Students clean up by organizing or putting away their works if completed. During this time, the children also do their jobs.
- 12 noon – The students have lunch and then go to recess.
- During the afternoon, the teacher observes and works with individuals as needed.
- 1:15 p.m. – Children continue working in the afternoon or participate in specials, which include: Hebrew, Chumash, Mishaoit, Music, Gym, Art, Singing and Reading, depending on the day’s schedule.
- 2:45 p.m. – After recess, the children reads quietly.
- 3:25 p.m. – The children clean up once again: organizing their work, putting it away and doing their job. The children will get their mail and belongings ready for dismissal.
This curriculum is subject to changes and alterations and field trips are scheduled throughout the year.